Student of Online Teaching and Learning

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

The first course in the program is winding down. The fourth week was tough for a few reasons. It was a little difficult to figure out exactly what we needed to do. It seemed like a busy week and at the same time I think I wanted to make some headway on the final project. One of the assignments was supposed to be brainstormed among the group, but after the prior week's group project it seemed difficult to connect with the group. We all shared a bit of difficutly getting moving on the fourth week's assignments. The group work (brainstorming) for week was a little vague. I think it made obvious for me the fact that it is very important to have a concrete assignment in order for proper collaboration to occur. In this case, it became easier to just bounce a few cursory ideas around and then do the assignment individually. Early in the week we were informed that it was ok to do that, so I think most people in the class took that direction. I do appreciate that we were put 'at ease' regarding the group requirement for this week's assignment.


At first, I was unclear about the expectations for the first assignment of the week (looking at how we would address an accessibility issue). Interestingly, one classmate posted her assignment early. I believe that she set the bar (at least for me) a little higher than I might have without her example. This was a good thing. I found that I put MUCH greater effort into that assignment as a result. In fact, afterwards I felt fortunate that I learned more than I think I would have set out to otherwise :) This is an interesting aspect of posting work in a forum. You can't help but to raise your own expectations if someone else posts something worthwhile. Thanks, Simone :)

On a similar note, for this upcoming week and the final project, I appreciate that an exemplary paper was posted. This provides a nice example of what is expected and also something to strive for.

Week 5 here I come! Looking forward to finishing this class and starting the next!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home